Are you interested in launching a mobile application?
There’s a lot you need to know about mobile application development before you can launch an app that is destined to succeed.
In this article, you will learn about;
- The history and origins of mobile applications
- Different types of Mobile Apps
- Answers to the 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Mobile Applications
Let’s get started!
Origins of Mobile Application
Let’s quickly go over the history of mobile applications, to begin with. Mobile apps have come a long way in a short period of time. As technology evolves, it is important to take a step back to learn about where it all began.
When we take a look back at the history of mobile apps, the first ones to be created include calculators, monthly calendars, and simple games that used the Java framework to come to life. IBM was the first company to create mobile apps back in 1993 when it launched the first-ever smartphone. It offered features like a calculator, world clock, calendar, and contact book.
The Nokia 6110 was launched in 1997 and it included the popular game “Snake” which people continue to talk about to this day. It was easily the first mobile game.
Next, the Blackberry smartphone was launched after a few years in 2002. It highlighted major achievements in the field of mobile app development. It brought the concept of wireless email.
From then on, Apple and Android revolutionized the app industry with futuristic mobile apps that added a lot of value to their users’ lives.
We have come a long way; yet, there’s a long way still to go. The technology around mobile apps is always evolving, and there is a growing need for great apps that continue to make the world better.
Moving forward, let’s talk about the different types of mobile apps in the market. This will help you understand better what type of application you need for your business.
Types of Mobile Applications
When it comes to mobile apps, there are three basic types of apps that are available.
1. Native Apps
Native apps are developed exclusively for a specific mobile operating system. There are native mobile apps for Android and iOS. The mobile application software is different for both platforms. Since the mobile apps are developed for just one platform, it is not possible to mix them.
A variety of programming languages are used for coding native apps. Some of the coding languages for application development include Java, Python, React, C++, and Objective-C.
- Native mobile applications are much faster as they only run on one platform.
- Their performance is a lot more reliable.
- Mobile application development for native apps ensures that the resources of the device are fully utilized for higher efficiency.
- A more optimized experience is guaranteed.
- Launching an app for a specific platform means that efforts would need to be duplicated for other platforms.
- The mobile application software code used for one platform cannot be used for another platform.
- It is more costly to produce native apps and update each version.
2. Web Apps
- Since the mobile app list of web apps is web-based, no customization is required.
- It is a lot more affordable to hire application development services for the development of web apps.
- As no downloads are required, no space would be taken up.
- Web apps depend entirely on the web browser used.
- Not every browser will offer access to all the functionalities.
- Users will have a different experience depending on the device they use.
- Web apps cannot work completely offline.
3. Hybrid Apps
Finally, the third type of mobile apps includes hybrid apps. They feel like native apps but are actually web apps. You might come across a home screen app icon. However, they are web apps that have been designed to look native.
It means that they work offline, offer faster performance, and have a responsive design. A mixture of native APIs and web technologies is used for developing hybrid apps. Generally, HTML5, Swift, Objective C, and Ionic are used.
- Developing hybrid apps takes less time.
- It is more economical to develop a hybrid app in comparison to a native app.
- Considered to be a minimum viable product.
- The perfect option for countries that offer a slower internet connection.
- Provide a consistent user experience.
- Easier to maintain as less code is involved.
- Hybrid apps are not as fast or efficient as native apps.
Now, let’s move on to the FAQs.
Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions about Mobile Application
- How Should I Develop An App Over Time?
Developing an app over time requires you to have a clear idea about how the app should look and what it should offer. You can go through a mobile app list online for inspiration.
Whether you are interested in developing lifestyle apps or any other type of mobile application, you will need to gather feedback from users and utilize it to develop the perfect app.
Mobile developers need to look for ways to make the lives of users easier through app development. Innovative changes are the way to go. It requires research and continuous testing. If you can pinpoint what people want, you will succeed.
We help our clients develop applications based on user research. This helps us create apps that people want to use. When you create something for people that addresses their concerns or adds value to their lives, it has a higher chance to succeed.
- Which Monetization Methods Are Available?
The best mobile applications leverage plenty of monetization methods that are available to them. Some common ways for mobile app monetization are:
- Introduction of Virtual Currencies
- App Data Monetization
- Affiliate Marketing
For marketing consultation, we highly recommend Consult Strategia.
- How Often Does An App Need To Be Updated?
The following scenarios may lead to an update in the build of a mobile application;
- Discovery of bugs during testing.
- Addition of new features.
- Improving the security of the app.
- Negative feedback from users that shows weaknesses of your app.
- The performance of competitors.
- The advent of new technology that is relevant to your app.
- Who Should I Target?
User acquisition is one of the most important factors that influence the success of a mobile app. To determine who to target, you need to determine your demographics.
Think about who your customers are in order to target them. Create customer personas that coverage, time spent on the app, location, income, interests, and other factors.
You should find out what your target audience is searching for, what they need, or what their present concerns are. You must also find out what platforms are most frequently used by your target audience.
Once you are able to provide a smart solution for your audience through your application, you can target them with ads and other ASO strategies in places where your target audience is most active.
- How Can I Optimize My App Store Offering (ASO)?
There are various factors that enable you to improve your app store offering. Be mindful of the following.
- App Title and Description: The most important thing that you cannot overlook is the app title and description. It should include the target keywords to increase app exposure.
- App Icon: Design an app icon that users find interesting and have an easy time getting familiar with.
- Screenshots: Include those screenshots that reveal everything that your app is about. The screenshots should convince users to download your app. Make sure that they offer a true and clear view of the app.
- App Rating: Although you do not control what users write about your app, you still need to make sure that you respond to users and put in the effort to improve your app rating.
- Do App Store Algorithms Influence My App Store Offering (ASO)?
There are two factors that you need to consider in this regard as mentioned below.
- App Category: As the name suggests, it influences your ranking. The more apps there are in your category the greater the competition.
- Keywords: It can be a bit complex to understand how keywords play a role. As long as you ensure relevancy and proper keyword placement, you should be able to rank well.
- Are There Useful ASO Tools Which I Can Use?
The following ASO tools will help you improve your offering in no time.
- App Radar
- Sensor Tower
- Priori Data
- App Annie
- Split Metrics
- App Tweak
- Mobile Action
- Should I Outsource My Mobile App Development?
An important question that you need to know the answer to is whether you should outsource your mobile app development. When you first start out with app development, you have many things to consider. Seeking the services of an application development agency can help you leverage their expertise to avoid the pitfalls and increase the chances of success.
Hiring a full-time team of developers to do the work for you can prove to be much more expensive than having an agency take care of your project. So, it is way more cost-effective than you might think.
The following reasons highlight when you should outsource mobile app development.
- Mobile app development is not the core business function of your business.
- Investment in additional infrastructure for accommodating app development is required.
- The internal IT department is too busy to take on a new project.
- The existing team lacks the required skills.
- There is a need to hire new talent.
- It is not possible to train new hires.
- You want to spread out some of the risks.
- You need to ensure that the budget is managed carefully.
- You cannot commit to the long-term management of the app.
- What Should I Look For In A Mobile Application Development Service?
When hiring a mobile application development agency, it is wise to partner with a reliable company that has experience in developing apps similar to the one you require. A good firm should adopt agile development methodology, possess specialized platform knowledge, have strong technical capabilities, and ensure the best UX/UI design principles are followed. Go through their portfolio to evaluate the type of work they have done and check verified reviews. Ask them to explain their development process to you beforehand.
You can take a look at our portfolio to develop an understanding.
We hope this post added to your knowledge about mobile apps and answered a few burning questions for you. If you would like more of your questions answered, direction for your app development, or if you would like to partner with us for mobile or web app development, feel free to contact us today.
We’ll be back soon with a new post. Subscribe to our email list so you don’t miss out on our informative posts.